Monday, October 19, 2015

The woes of an early RM

So, I haven't posted in a while, but I couldn't think of anything to post, and I've been busy with some other things. Anyway, I have another story to tell:
I belong to one of the largest religions in the world, (It is one of the largest. Look it up.) and that is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, sometimes shortened to LDS, or labelled as "Mormon", which is a nickname that comes from a book of scripture that we believe to be comparable, and companion to The Bible. That book is called The Book of Mormon.
In the LDS church, there is a strong tradition of Missionary work, which simply means that thousands of people, either those between the ages of 18 to 26-ish, or else "elderly" couples, those who have retired from the workforce, have decided to dedicate 18 to 24 months of their lives to serving God in an area that God decides would be the best place for them to go, whether it be for their personal benefit, or for the benefit of someone they meet along the way, and to teach what we call The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, which we believe to be the entirety of what Jesus Christ himself taught while he lived on earth, which was restored through a modern-day prophet, named Joseph Smith. (If you want to know more about that, check out Mormon.org or LDS.org)
I left home, which is currently in Central Texas, at the end of June to go to Provo, UT for two weeks to be trained in this assignment, and then I flew out from there to Seattle WA, or more specifically, to Bellevue WA, and then they drove me to Sammamish WA, where I was staying for about Eight weeks, until I had a seizure and had to come home.
Since then, I have been waiting for Doctors appointments to help get me back in shape to return to Washington and finish my mission, which will take approximately 22 more months.
The hardest part about the seizure and the resulting flight back to Texas was that I didn't seem to have any control of that situation. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I don't necessarily like to be in charge of things, but I do enjoy having some sense of control of what happens in my life. (But then again, don't we all?)
While I admit that the seizure sucked, and the resulting ban from driving that I have has basically placed me almost on house arrest, (Which doesn't matter, because I rarely leave the house anyway,)
I do realize that sending me home was most likely the best course of action the Mission President (He's the one in charge of the missionaries in any given mission area.) Could have taken, As he put it, "It is better to send you home and get this taken care of there, in the care of your parents, because they know how to best take care of you, and they know more about your condition than we do."
He also told me that once this does get taken care of, that I am more than welcome to come back into that area and finish my mission, which is exactly what I plan to do.
Since coming home, (Which happened about six weeks ago), I have had all of the necessary doctor's appointments, and have been cleared to go back, but, according to what my Stake President, (He's the person in charge of decisions made at the level of the Stake, or a group of congregations.) said, that could take a few more weeks, which means even more waiting.
I hope that after this, you won't hear from me again for another couple years, but I have no idea whether that will pan out, so I guess we'll just see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment